Registration for the 2019 Brain Injury Advocacy Day is now closed.
Advocacy Day is the day that the brain injury community gathers at the New York State Capitol to raise awareness of brain injury issues and advocate for public policy initiatives.
If you’re a brain injury professional, survivor, family member or friend and you want to increase awareness and create policy change, join us – We are Stronger Together!
Providers and Organizations: Help us bring survivors, family members, friends and professionals to Albany on Tuesday, March 26th by organizing a group from your area to travel together.
Advocacy Day Schedule:
9:30am Check In
10:30am Rally/Speaking Program in the Well of the Legislative Office Building
12:30pm Lunch in the Well- you MUST be pre-registered to receive a free lunch
provided by BIANYS
3:00pm Safe travels home
Things to do at Advocacy Day:
- Join us at the kick off rally in the Well of the Legislative Office Building. Don’t forget to wear blue! This is a way to show your support for brain injury causes and increases our visibility. There is truly strength in numbers!
- Make appointments with your Assembly Member and Senator before Advocacy Day. If you are not sure who your representatives are, visit the Assembly and Senate websites.
- At meetings with your representatives, tell them about your personal journey. BIANYS will provide talking points for the issues we’re working on, but it’s just as important that the legislators hear about you, their constituent, and how brain injury has impacted you, and the needs of your local community. You should keep your story brief- legislators often only have a few minutes to spare.
- Network with other members of the New York State brain injury community.
- Meet BIANYS staff and learn about our activities and initiatives.
Advocacy Day kicks off in the Well of the Legislative Office Building in Albany at 10:30 am with a Rally and Speaking Program. We want to show the strength of this community, so please do not schedule meetings during the rally. We will provide lunch to all registered participants, after which we encourage attendees to visit their legislative representatives.
Show your solidarity by wearing blue! This year, we’re not providing t-shirts, but we will have stickers and other awareness materials available to show your support for brain injury causes. We’ll provide talking points on the issues (emailed to registered participants prior to Advocacy Day) and information to leave with your legislators.
Parking: There is visitor parking available under the Empire State Plaza and in surrounding areas. For a map of parking locations, visit http://assembly.state.ny.us/directions/
Contact Christina Bolton, Director of Advocacy & Engagement, if you have any questions about accessibility, lunch or registration. firstname.lastname@example.org or (518) 459-7911