Advocacy Day brings the brain injury community together at the New York State Capitol to raise awareness of brain injury issues and advocate for public policy initiatives.
Scroll all the way down to register today!
If you’re a brain injury or health care professional, survivor, family member or friend and you want to increase awareness and create policy change, join us – We are Stronger Together!
Providers and Organizations: Help us bring survivors, family members, friends and professionals to Albany by organizing a group from your area to travel to Albany together.
Advocacy Day Schedule:
9:30am Check In
10:00am Rally/Speaking Program in the Well of the Legislative Office Building
12:30pm Lunch in the Well- you MUST be pre-registered to receive a free lunch
provided by BIANYS
3:00pm Safe travels home
Things to do at Advocacy Day:
- Join us at the kick off rally in the Well of the Legislative Office Building. Don’t forget to wear blue! This is a way to show your support for brain injury causes and increase our visibility. There is truly strength in numbers!
- Network with other members of the New York State brain injury community.
- Meet BIANYS staff and learn about our activities and initiatives.
Advocacy Day kicks off in the Well of the Legislative Office Building in Albany at 10:00 am with a Rally and Speaking Program. We want to show the strength of this community, so please do not schedule meetings during the rally. We will provide lunch to all registered participants, after which we encourage attendees to visit their legislative representatives.
Meeting with Your Legislators:
Before Advocacy Day, look up your State representatives in the Assembly and Senate and contact their offices and request a meeting. Here’s what you can say:
- I am a constituent of the Senator/Assembly Member and I am attending Brain Injury Advocacy Day on March 25, 2020.
- I would like to make an appointment to speak with the Senator/Assembly Member on Advocacy Day to talk about my experience with brain injury and the needs of the community.
BIANYS will share talking points and calls to action to discuss at meetings with legislators. These will be emailed to all registrants and provided in-person on Advocacy Day.
- Make sure you pre-register for Advocacy Day.
- Review talking points and other materials before Advocacy Day to familiarize yourself with the issues.
- Prepare some brief remarks about your story and how brain injury has impacted your life. This will help you keep the conversation brief, as legislators may not have much time in the meeting. It also ensures that you touch on all the points you want to make in the meeting.
- Practice your remarks with a friend before your visit so you’re more comfortable sharing them.
Show your solidarity by wearing blue! We will have stickers and other awareness materials available to show your support for brain injury causes. We’ll provide talking points on the issues (emailed to registered participants prior to Advocacy Day) and information to leave with your legislators.
Parking: There is visitor parking available under the Empire State Plaza and in surrounding areas. For a map of parking locations, visit http://assembly.state.ny.us/directions/
- There are some accessibility issues in the Legislative Office Building/Capitol Building complex. We will provide details on how to locate accessible entrances and elevators and will work to make the event as accessible as possible. Please do not hesitate to ask building security guards or BIANYS representatives for assistance with any needs.
- If you require special accommodations, please contact BIANYS to discuss your needs and how we can help.
Contact Christina LeBeau, Director of Advocacy & Engagement, if you have any questions about accessibility, lunch or registration. email@example.com or (518) 459-7911.