Our state legislature is divided into two separate bodies: the New York State Senate and the New York State Assembly. We are each represented by one State Senator and one State Assembly Member, each determined by your address.
- To find your NYS Senator: www.nysenate.gov/senators
- To find your NYS Assembly Member: www.assembly.state.ny.us
These elected officials like to be contacted by email or telephone. Or, you can contact their local office and ask for a meeting with the elected official or relevant staff member.
When you call, do the following:
- Introduce yourself and tell them that you are a constituent and a member of the Brain Injury Association of NYS.
- Briefly mention your relationship to brain injury (i.e.: that you have a brain injury; that a family member has a brain injury; you are a provider; you are a professional in the field etc.)
- You are calling because there are a number of issues of concern to the brain injury community that you would like your Senator/Assembly Member to be aware of.
What to Talk About
Below are some ideas of what to say. The most important thing is that you contact your elected officials and let them know what you think. Do not assume they know anything about your issue: be prepared to educate your representative.
Some talking points are:
BIANYS has a number of public policy priorities for which you would like their support:
- Protect TBI and NHTD Waiver Services. (Resources to advocate on this topic are posted on the Managed Care page of this website)
- Creating a Brain Injury Trust Fund in NYS to provide funding for brain injury services (Senate Bill 3752 / Assembly bill 105)
- Improve access to brain injury services by creating a brain injury Continuum of Care Program that meet the needs of all New Yorkers who sustain brain injury.
Ending the call
- Be sure to thank them for their time and interest.
- New Yorkers with brain injuries are counting on them.
- Send a follow-up thank you email or note.
Please share information about your efforts and any responses with BIANYS staff.